Wednesday, December 14, 2011

About Me : Sitka

 A series of short posts revealing something about me, my past, and my future




I grew up in the city of Sitka, Alaska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitka,_Alaska). Sitka is located on an island in the South-eastern portion of Alaska. The city itself is the largest incorporated city in the United States with about 2,874 square miles of area.  This island community isn't very large (by population) by most peoples standards, but it is one of the larger cities in the state.  The natives in Sitka (my ancestors), settled the area over 10,000 years ago.  One of Sitka's claims to fame is that it was where the United States completed the purchase of the Alaska Territory from Russia.

In this image I am up near the top of Harbor Mountain, after a hiking up from my parents house down near the water below. I stayed in Sitka until I went to college in California, but I still return as often as I can. One of the main reasons I dug into photography so much in the past year has been so that I can go back and take better pictures of "home".



No comments:

Post a Comment